Report contents, period & report standard
With this report on “Sustainability at Zeppelin 2022”, the Zeppelin Group presents its achievements and targets in the area of sustainability, as well as the changes compared with the previous year. Group-wide collaboration at Zeppelin revolves around a management holding company – Zeppelin GmbH – and six strategic business units. Unless otherwise indicated, all information in this report relates to the Zeppelin Group. Zeppelin GmbH has reported in accordance with the GRI standards for the period from January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022. The Sustainability Report refers to the period from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2022 and thus comprises three full fiscal years. Reservation: For a few key figures, values are not consistently available, as reporting has been improved and expanded in terms of quality in the last two years. Due to the crisis situation in Ukraine and Russia, it was not possible to determine the environmental and energy data of the sites in those regions in 2022. For this reason, the previous year’s values were adopted for these sites. If a key figure does not include all companies, a corresponding identification indicates the corresponding database. For the sake of completeness and depending on the subject matter in question, this report also contains information on the circumstances and facts prior to the specified period, as well as providing an outlook for the subsequent years. The reference date for the most recent data collection in respective of 2022 is May 25, 2023. The editorial deadline for this report is June 30, 2023. The Zeppelin Group’s Sustainability Report is published in a completely revised form, similar to the Annual Report, once a year.
Zeppelin GmbH was not subject to the reporting obligation in accordance with German and European legislation for the 2022 reporting year. The Sustainability Report is submitted on a voluntary basis and is a management decision. The report has been reviewed and approved by the Management Board. Content published in the Group management reports and consolidated financial statements for 2020, 2021 and 2022 was reviewed by an independent auditor. The audit opinion can be found at the end of the respective annual report. The contents of the annual report are marked in the text.
Changes compared with previous year
Changes to the sites after the reporting date were submitted for the 2021 fiscal year. These were taken into account in the preparation of this year’s sustainability report. The following changes have been made, major adjustments have been noted:
Total energy consumption:
Adjustment by +1,358 MWh (2021 old: 196,297, new: 197,655)
- Categorization of fuel consumption (diesel/gasoline) in Saudi Arabia and Turkmenistan. Adjustment due to different conversion factor (+9.7 MWh)
- Error in conversion of units at Sitech Austria (+226 MWh)
- Adaptation of consumption at five sites of Zeppelin Rental and Zeppelin Baumaschinen GmbH (+ 105 MWh)
- Heating oil
- Addition at one Zeppelin Rental GmbH site (+ 145 MWh)
- Due to internal allocation of energy consumption within combined locations
- Addition of plausible projections at eight sites (+ 457 MWh)
The CO2 emissions are calculated from the existing energy consumption and were accordingly adjusted by + 81 tonnes of CO2e (2021 old: 46,112 t CO2e, new: 46,193 t CO2e)
Adjustment by + 9,699 m³ (2021 old: 128,739 m³, new: 138,438 m³)
- Minor adjustment at four different sites
- Addition of rainwater flushing within the headquarters (+ 368 m³)
- Addition of plausible projections at 20 sites (+ 8,755 m³)
Adjustment by + 347 tonnes (2021 old: 15,250 t, new: 15,597 t)
- Adapted at two sites. Categories were not included in the waste balance sheets – these have now been added subsequently.
- Addition of plausible projections at 10 sites (+ 305 t)
Changes were made to water consumption for the 2020 fiscal year – addition of plausible projections (+ 7,941 m³)